Pink and Say
Pink and Say
"When Sheldon Russell Curtis told this story to his daughter, Rosa, she kept every word in her heart and was to retell it many times. I will tell it in Sheldon's own words as nearly as I can."
He was wounded in a fierce battle and left for dead in a pasture somewhere in Georgia when Pinkus found him. Pinkus' skin was the color of polished mahogany, and he was flying Union colors like the wounded boy, and he picked him up out of the field and brought him to where the black soldier's mother, Moe Moe Bay, lived. She had soft, gentle hands and cared for him and her Pink.
But the two boys were putting her in danger, two Union soldiers in Confederate territory! They had to get back to their outfits. Scared and uncertain, the boys were faced with a hard decision, and then marauding Confederate troops rode in.
In this Civil War story passed from great-grandfather to grandmother, to son, and finally to the author-artist herself, Patricia Polacco once again celebrates the shared humanity of the peoples of this world.
Other Similar Books
Other suggestions on the subject of the American Civil War.
- You Wouldn't Want to Be a Nurse During the American Civil War (by: Senior, Kathryn, LE, MG)
- You Wouldn't Want to Be a Civil War Soldier (by: Ratliff, Thomas, LE, MG)
- Pink and Say (by: Polacco, Patricia, LE, MG)
- Nurse, Soldier, Spy: The Story of Sarah Edmonds, a Civil War Hero (by: Moss, Marissa, LE, MG)
- Henry's Freedom Box (by: Levine, Ellen, LE)
- All Different Now: Junteenth, the First Day of Freedom (by: Johnson, Angela, LE)
- Bull Run (by: Fleischman, Paul, MG)
- Big Bad Ironclad! (by: Hale, Nathan, MG, UMG)
- Guts & Glory: The American Civil War (by: Thompson, Ben, UMG)
- Little Women (by: Alcott, Louisa May, UMG, YA)
- Blood and Germs: The Civil War Battle Against Wounds and Disease (by: Jarrow, Gail, UMG)
- Fields of Fury: The American Civil War (by: McPherson, James M., UMG, YA)
- The Bloody Country (by: Collier, James Lincoln, Collier, Christopher, UMG, YA)
- Two Miserable Presidents: Everything Your Schoolbooks Didn't Tell You About the Civil War (by: Sheinkin, Steve, YA, UMG)
- March Towards The Thunder (by: Bruchac, Joseph, UMG)
- The Boys' War (by: Murphy, Jim, UMG, YA)
- A Nation Without Borders: The United States and Its World in an Age of Civil Wars, 1830-1910 (by: Freeman, Joshua, YA)
- This Republic of Suffering (by: Faust, Drew Gilpin, YA, A)
- Crossing Ebenezer Creek (by: Bolden, Tonya, YA, A)
- March (by: Brooks, Geraldine, YA, A)