Most Recently Published Book Suggestions (2021)
- Mornings With Monet (2021, by: Rosenstock, Barb, LE, Monet)
- She Caught the Light: Williamina Stevens Fleming: Astronomer (2021, by: Lasky, Kathryn, LE, Science, Space, Williamina Fleming)
- Fossils From Lost Worlds (2021, by: Laverdunt, Damien, MG, Evolution)
- A Slip of a Girl (2021, by: Reilly Giff, Patricia, MG, Irish Land Wars)
- The Age of Dinosaurs (2021, by: Brusatte, Steve, MG, UMG, Dinosaurs)
- Clan (2021, by: Brouwer, Sigmund, MG, UMG, Ice Age)
- My Name is Phillis Wheatley (2021, by: Cooper, Afua, MG, Phillis Wheatley, Slavery)
- Rez Dogs (2021, by: Bruchac, Joseph, MG, UMG, Indigenous Americans, Wabanaki Nation, COVID-19 pandemic)
- Root Magic (2021, by: Royce, Eden, MG, UMG, Civil Rights)
- Peacemaker (2021, by: Bruchac, Joseph, MG, UMG, Indigenous Americans, Iroquois Nation)
- Cold War Correspondent (2021, by: Hale, Nathan, MG, UMG, Korean War)
- City of the Plague God (2021, by: Chadda, Sarwat, MG, UMG, Mesopotamia, Gilgamesh)
- While I Was Away (2021, by: Brown, Waka T., MG, UMG, Japanese Culture)
- Unspeakable: The Tulsa Race Massacre (2021, by: Boston Weatherford, Carole, MG, Tulsa Race Massacre, Civil Rights)
- The Burning (Young Readers Edition) (2021, by: Beard, Hilary, Madigan, Tim, UMG, YA, Tulsa Race Massacre, Civil Rights)
- When the World Was Ours (2021, by: Kessler, Liz, UMG, YA, WWII, Holocaust)
- A Thousand Ships (2021, by: Haynes, Natalie, YA, A, Trojan War)
- The Corpse Queen (2021, by: Herrman, Heather M., YA, A, Grave Robbers, Women in Science)
- Daughter of Sparta (2021, by: Andrews, Claire, YA, A, Sparta)
- Angel of Greenwood (2021, by: Pink, Randi, YA, A, Tulsa Race Massacre, Civil Rights)
- Concrete Rose (2021, by: Thomas, Angie, YA, A, Modern Age)
- Names in a Jar (2021, by: Gold, Jennifer, YA, A, Holocaust, WWII)
- Fallout: Spies, Superbombs, and the Ultimate Cold War Showdown (2021, by: Sheinkin, Steve, YA, Cold War)
- Luck of the Titanic (2021, by: Wolf, Allan, YA, A, Titanic, Chinese Immigration)
- The Witch's Heart (2021, by: Gornichec, Genevieve, YA, A, Norse Mythology)
- The Hidden Palace (2021, by: Wecker, Helene, YA, A, Immigrants, Jewish History)
- Sixteen Scandals (2021, by: Jordan, Sophie, YA, A, Regency Era)
- My Contrary Mary (2021, by: Hand, Cynthia, Ashton, Brodi, Meadows, Jodi, YA, A, Tudors, Mary Stuart)
- Our Violent Ends (2021, by: Gong, Clohe, YA, A, Romeo and Juliet)
- Last Night at the Telegraph Club (2021, by: Nichols Lo, Malinda, YA, A, McCarthyism, Cold War, Chinese American Immigrants, LGBTQ+)
- Poison Priestess (2021, by: Popovic, Lana, YA, Catherine Monvoisin)
- The Last Queen: Elizabeth II (2021, by: Irving, Clive, A, Elizabeth II)
- Katharine Parr, The Sixth Wife (2021, by: Weir, Alison, A, Tudors, Katharine Parr)
- The Forgotten Kingdom, Book II (2021, by: Pike, Signe, A, Arthurian Legends)
- Queens of the Crusades: England's Medieval Queens (2021, by: Weir, Alison, A, Kings and Queens)
- A Tip for the Hangman (2021, by: Epstein, Allison, A, Tudors, Elizabeth I)
- The Dictionary of Lost Words (2021, by: Williams, Pip, A, WWI, Women's Suffrage, Oxford English Dictionary)
Featured Weekly Book Suggestion - 9/20/2021
While I Was Away
Author: Brown, Waka T.
Buy at Amazon | BookShop.org
Time Period: Modern Age
Time Frame: 1984
Geographic Area: Asia
Topics: Japanese Culture
Reading Age: Middle Grade, Upper Middle Grade
Format: Chapter Book
World History > Modern Age > 1980s
The Farewell meets Erin Entrada Kelly's Blackbird Fly in this empowering middle-grade memoir from debut author Waka T. Brown, who takes readers on a journey to 1980s Japan, where she was sent as a child to reconnect to her family’s roots.
When twelve-year-old Waka’s parents suspect she can’t understand the basic Japanese they speak to her, they make a drastic decision to send her to Tokyo to live for several months with her strict grandmother. Forced to say goodbye to her friends and what would have been her summer vacation, Waka is plucked from her straight-A-student life in rural Kansas and flown across the globe, where she faces the culture shock of a lifetime.
In Japan, Waka struggles with reading and writing in kanji, doesn’t quite mesh with her complicated and distant Obaasama, and gets made fun of by the students in her Japanese public-school classes. Even though this is the country her parents came from, Waka has never felt more like an outsider.
If she’s always been the “smart Japanese girl” in America but is now the “dumb foreigner” in Japan, where is home...and who will Waka be when she finds it?
This might be one of my favorite books of 2021. I love reading about different cultures, and Japan has always been one of my favorite places to read about. So this middle-grade memoir was right up my alley. When Waka's parents become concerned that she isn't fluent in Japanese, they decide to send her to Japan for 5 months to live with her grandmother and study in a Japanese school. At first, Waka is completely against this idea, but as she adjusts to living in a new country, she learns more about her family and discovers that this wasn't such a terrible way to spend the summer after all.
The writing in this book was so great - I really felt like I was right there with Waka, experiencing 1980s era Japanese culture. From the food to stationery shopping, to the challenges she faced in school, it was endlessly fascinating to read. I loved reading about Waka's relationship with her grandmother - it was a very honest portrayal of trying to bond with a relative that is emotionally distant. Waka herself was an endearing character - she was put into some difficult situations, and I loved seeing how she worked through them.
I found this story riveting - it was truly an un-put-downable read!
Other Similar Books
Other suggestions on the subject of Modern Age Japan.
- While I Was Away (by: Brown, Waka T., MG, UMG, Japanese Culture)
- The Attack on Pearl Harbor: An Interactive History Adventure (by: Lassieur, Allison, MG, WWII)
- Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes (by: Coerr, Eleanor, MG, WWII, Hiroshima)
- On the Horizon: World War II Reflections (by: Lowry, Lois, MG, UMG, WWII)
- Under the Broken Sky (by: Smith, Sherri L., UMG, Manchuria, WWII)
- Hiroshima (by: Yep, Lawrence, UMG, Hiroshima)
- A Place to Belong (by: Kadohata, Cynthia, UMG, YA, WWII)
- Barefoot Gen 2 (by: Nakazawa, Keiji, YA, A, WWII, Hiroshima)
- Blood For Blood (by: Graudin, Ryan, YA, A, Hypothetical Axis Victory)
- The Blossom and the Firefly (by: Smith, Sherri L., YA, A, WWII)
- Barefoot Gen 3 (by: Nakazawa, Keiji, YA, A, WWII, Hiroshima)
- In Harm's Way: The Sinking of the U.S.S. Indianapolis and the Extraordinary Story of Its Survivors (by: Stanton, Doug, YA, A, WWII, USS Indianapolis)
- Barefoot Gen 1 (by: Nakazawa, Keiji, YA, A, WWII, Hiroshima)
- Wolf By Wolf (by: Graudin, Ryan, YA, A, Hypothetical Axis Victory)
- Pachinko (by: Lee, Min Jin, YA, A, Korean War)
Books. Lots of Books.