Esperanza Rising joins the Scholastic Gold line, which features award-winning and beloved novels. Includes exclusive bonus content! Esperanza thought she'd always live a privileged life on her family's ranch in Mexico. She'd always have fancy dresses, a beautiful home filled with servants, and Mama, Papa, and Abuelita to care for her. But a sudden tragedy forces Esperanza and Mama to flee to California and settle in a Mexican farm labor camp. Esperanza isn't ready for the hard work, financial struggles brought on by the Great Depression, or lack of acceptance she now faces. When Mama gets sick and a strike for better working conditions threatens to uproot their new life, Esperanza must find a way to rise above her difficult circumstances-because Mama's life, and her own, depend on it.
Other Similar Books
Other suggestions on the subject of the Great Depression.
- Out of the Dust (by: Karen Hesse, MG)
- Children of the Dust Bowl (by: Stanley, Jerry, MG)
- Wish Upon a Crawdad (by: Condon, Curtis W., MG, UMG)
- Tru & Nelle (by: Neri, G., MG)
- Sweet Home Alaska (by: Estby Dagg, Carole, MG, UMG)
- The Dust Bowl: An Interactive History Adventure (by: Lassieur, Allison, MG)
- Stella by Starlight (by: Draper, Sharon M., UMG)
- The Great American Dust Bowl (by: Brown, Don, UMG, YA)
- Esperanza Rising (by: Muñoz Ryan, Pam, UMG)
- Echo Mountain (by: Wolk, Lauren, UMG)
- West with Giraffes: A Novel (by: Rutledge, Lynda, YA)
- A Square Meal: A Culinary History of the Great Depression (by: Ziegelman, Jane, Cole, Andrew, A)
Other suggestions on the subject of the Mexican Immigration.