A Thousand Ships
A Thousand Ships: A Novel
World History > Classical Age > Ancient Greece
“Gorgeous.... With her trademark passion, wit, and fierce feminism, Natalie Haynes gives much-needed voice to the silenced women of the Trojan War.”—Madeline Miller, author of Circe
Shortlisted for the Women’s Prize for Fiction, a gorgeous retelling of the Trojan War from the perspectives of the many women involved in its causes and consequences—for fans of Madeline Miller.
This is the women’s war, just as much as it is the men’s. They have waited long enough for their turn . . .
This was never the story of one woman, or two. It was the story of them all . . .
In the middle of the night, a woman wakes to find her beloved city engulfed in flames. Ten seemingly endless years of conflict between the Greeks and the Trojans are over. Troy has fallen.
From the Trojan women whose fates now lie in the hands of the Greeks, to the Amazon princess who fought Achilles on their behalf, to Penelope awaiting the return of Odysseus, to the three goddesses whose feud started it all, these are the stories of the women whose lives, loves, and rivalries were forever altered by this long and tragic war.
A woman’s epic, powerfully imbued with new life, A Thousand Ships puts the women, girls and goddesses at the center of the Western world’s great tale ever told.
I really enjoyed this story. I am a sucker for Greek mythology retellings, and I have always enjoyed reading about the Trojan War. So when I discovered this book I was very excited to read it. I loved the concept of retelling the war from the perspective of the women it affected, but also in a non-linear fashion. I especially loved that it played with the concept of what it means to be a hero, and the way that the author wove the story together, almost like a tapestry of tragedy, was just beautiful to read.
Other Similar Books
Other suggestions on the subject of Trojan War.
- The Iliad and the Odyssey (by: Williams, Marcia, LE, MG)
- The Wanderings of Odysseus: The Story of the Odyssey (by: Sutcliff, Rosemary, MG, UMG)
- Tales from the Odyssey, Part 1 (by: Pope Osborne, Mary, MG)
- The Adventures of Odysseus (by: Lupton, Hugh, MG)
- Tales from the Odyssey, Part 2 (by: Pope Osborne, Mary, MG)
- The Trojan Horse: How the Greeks Won the War (by: Little, Emily, LE, MG)
- Black Ships Before Troy: The Story of the Iliad (by: Sutcliff, Rosemary, MG, UMG)
- The Trojan War (by: Colidge, Olivia, UMG, YA)
- A Thousand Ships (by: Haynes, Natalie, YA, A)
- Inside the Walls of Troy (by: McLaren, Clemence, YA)
- Waiting for Odysseus (by: McLaren, Clemence, YA)
- The Silence of the Girls (by: Barker, Pat, YA, A)
- Helen of Troy (by: George, Margaret, A)