Hour of the Witch
Hour of the Witch
A young Puritan woman--faithful, resourceful, but afraid of the demons that dog her soul--plots her escape from a violent marriage in this riveting and propulsive novel of historical suspense from the #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Flight Attendant.
Boston, 1662. Mary Deerfield is twenty-four-years-old. Her skin is porcelain, her eyes delft blue, and in England she might have had many suitors. But here in the New World, amid this community of saints, Mary is the second wife of Thomas Deerfield, a man as cruel as he is powerful. When Thomas, prone to drunken rage, drives a three-tined fork into the back of Mary's hand, she resolves that she must divorce him to save her life.
But in a world where every neighbor is watching for signs of the devil, a woman like Mary--a woman who harbors secret desires and finds it difficult to tolerate the brazen hypocrisy of so many men in the colony--soon becomes herself the object of suspicion and rumor. When tainted objects are discovered buried in Mary's garden, when a boy she has treated with herbs and simples dies, and when their servant girl runs screaming in fright from her home, Mary must fight to not only escape her marriage, but also the gallows. A twisting, tightly plotted novel of historical suspense from one of our greatest storytellers, Hour of the Witch is a timely and terrifying story of socially sanctioned brutality and the original American witch hunt.
Other Similar Books
Other suggestions on the subject of the Witch Trials.
- You Wouldn't Want to Be a Salem Witch (by: Pipe, Jim, LE, MG)
- Dear America: I Walk in Dread (by: Fraustino, Lisa Rowe, MG)
- The Salem Witch Trials: An Interactive History Adventure (by: Doeden, Matt, MG)
- The Witch of Blackbird Pond (by: Speare, Elizabeth George, UMG, YA)
- The Crucible (by: Miller, Authur, UMG)
- Witches: The Absolutely True Tale of Disaster in Salem (by: Schanzer, Rosalyn, UMG, YA)
- Hour of the Witch (by: Bohjalian, Chris, A)