A World of Her Own: 24 Amazing Women Explorers and Adventurers
An inspiration for any young person who loves the outdoors, wildlife, or science, A World of Her Own tells the stories of 24 brave women from different cultures, epochs, and economic backgrounds who have shared similar missions: to meet the physical and mental challenges of exploring the natural world, to protect the environment and native cultures, and to leave a mark in the name of discovery. Among the many bold women profiled are Rosaly Lopes, who worked for NASA and discovered 71 volcanoes on one of Jupiter’s moons; Helen Thayer, the first woman to walk and ski the Magnetic North Pole accompanied by only her dog; Kay Cottee, the first woman to successfully sail nonstop around the world completely unassisted; and Anna Smith Peck, who set the record for the highest climb in the Western Hemisphere at the age of 58. These and other engaging profiles, based on both historical research and firsthand interviews, stress how childhood passions and interests, perseverance, and courage led these women to overcome challenges and break barriers to achieve great success in their adventurous pursuits and careers. A bibliography and annotated list of exploration resources and organizations make this an invaluable resource for young explorers, parents, and teachers alike.
Other Similar Books
Other suggestions on the subject of Explorers.
- The Adventures of Marco Polo (by: Freedman, Russell, Explorers, LE, MG)
- Sophie Scott Goes South (by: Lester, Alison, Explorers, LE)
- You Wouldn’t Want to Explore with Lewis and Clark (by: Morley, Jacqueline, Westward Expansion, Explorers, LE, MG)
- You Wouldn't Want to Be a Polar Explorer (by: Green, Jen, Explorers, LE, MG)
- Exploring the New World: An Interactive History Adventure (by: Herr, Melody, Explorers, MG)
- Brendan the Navigator (by: Fritz, Jean, Explorers, MG)
- Around the World in a Hundred Years: From Henry the Navigator to Magellan (by: Fritz, Jean, Explorers, UMG)
- Where Do You Think You're Going, Christopher Columbus? (by: Fritz, Jean, Explorers, UMG)
- Stowaway (by: Rabin, Staton, Explorers, Sea Travel, UMG)
- Marooned in the Arctic: The True Story of Ada Blackjack, the "Female Robinson Crusoe" (by: Caravantes, Peggy, Ada Blackjack, Explorers, YA, A)
- A World of Her Own: 24 Amazing Women Explorers and Adventurers (by: Ross, Michael Elsohn, Explorers, YA, A)