Most Recently Published Book Suggestions (2021)
- Mornings With Monet (2021, by: Rosenstock, Barb, LE, Monet)
- She Caught the Light: Williamina Stevens Fleming: Astronomer (2021, by: Lasky, Kathryn, LE, Science, Space, Williamina Fleming)
- Fossils From Lost Worlds (2021, by: Laverdunt, Damien, MG, Evolution)
- A Slip of a Girl (2021, by: Reilly Giff, Patricia, MG, Irish Land Wars)
- The Age of Dinosaurs (2021, by: Brusatte, Steve, MG, UMG, Dinosaurs)
- Clan (2021, by: Brouwer, Sigmund, MG, UMG, Ice Age)
- Ophie's Ghosts (2021, by: Ireland, Justina, MG, UMG, Jim Crow, Ghosts)
- My Name is Phillis Wheatley (2021, by: Cooper, Afua, MG, Phillis Wheatley, Slavery)
- Rez Dogs (2021, by: Bruchac, Joseph, MG, UMG, Indigenous Americans, Wabanaki Nation, COVID-19 pandemic)
- Root Magic (2021, by: Royce, Eden, MG, UMG, Civil Rights)
- Peacemaker (2021, by: Bruchac, Joseph, MG, UMG, Indigenous Americans, Iroquois Nation)
- Cold War Correspondent (2021, by: Hale, Nathan, MG, UMG, Korean War)
- City of the Plague God (2021, by: Chadda, Sarwat, MG, UMG, Mesopotamia, Gilgamesh)
- While I Was Away (2021, by: Brown, Waka T., MG, UMG, Japanese Culture)
- Cuba in my Pocket (2021, by: Cuevas, Adrianna, MG, UMG, Immigration)
- Unspeakable: The Tulsa Race Massacre (2021, by: Boston Weatherford, Carole, MG, Tulsa Race Massacre, Civil Rights)
- The Burning (Young Readers Edition) (2021, by: Beard, Hilary, Madigan, Tim, UMG, YA, Tulsa Race Massacre, Civil Rights)
- When the World Was Ours (2021, by: Kessler, Liz, UMG, YA, WWII, Holocaust)
- A Thousand Ships (2021, by: Haynes, Natalie, YA, A, Trojan War)
- The Corpse Queen (2021, by: Herrman, Heather M., YA, A, Grave Robbers, Women in Science)
- Daughter of Sparta (2021, by: Andrews, Claire, YA, A, Sparta)
- Angel of Greenwood (2021, by: Pink, Randi, YA, A, Tulsa Race Massacre, Civil Rights)
- Concrete Rose (2021, by: Thomas, Angie, YA, A, Modern Age)
- Names in a Jar (2021, by: Gold, Jennifer, YA, A, Holocaust, WWII)
- Fallout: Spies, Superbombs, and the Ultimate Cold War Showdown (2021, by: Sheinkin, Steve, YA, Cold War)
- Luck of the Titanic (2021, by: Wolf, Allan, YA, A, Titanic, Chinese Immigration)
- The Witch's Heart (2021, by: Gornichec, Genevieve, YA, A, Norse Mythology)
- The Hidden Palace (2021, by: Wecker, Helene, YA, A, Immigrants, Jewish History)
- The City Beautiful (2021, by: Polydoros, Aden, YA, A, Gilded Age, Jewish Immigration, Chicago World's Fair)
- Sixteen Scandals (2021, by: Jordan, Sophie, YA, A, Regency Era)
- My Contrary Mary (2021, by: Hand, Cynthia, Ashton, Brodi, Meadows, Jodi, YA, A, Tudors, Mary Stuart)
- Our Violent Ends (2021, by: Gong, Clohe, YA, A, Romeo and Juliet)
- Last Night at the Telegraph Club (2021, by: Nichols Lo, Malinda, YA, A, McCarthyism, Cold War, Chinese American Immigrants, LGBTQ+)
- Poison Priestess (2021, by: Popovic, Lana, YA, Catherine Monvoisin)
- The Last Queen: Elizabeth II (2021, by: Irving, Clive, A, Elizabeth II)
- Katharine Parr, The Sixth Wife (2021, by: Weir, Alison, A, Tudors, Katharine Parr)
- The Forgotten Kingdom, Book II (2021, by: Pike, Signe, A, Arthurian Legends)
- Queens of the Crusades: England's Medieval Queens (2021, by: Weir, Alison, A, Kings and Queens)
- A Tip for the Hangman (2021, by: Epstein, Allison, A, Tudors, Elizabeth I)
- Hour of the Witch (2021, by: Bohjalian, Chris, A, Witch Trials)
- The Dictionary of Lost Words (2021, by: Williams, Pip, A, WWI, Women's Suffrage, Oxford English Dictionary)
Featured Weekly Book Suggestion - 10/11/2021
When You Reach Me
Author: Stead, Rebecca
Buy at Amazon | BookShop.org
Time Period: Modern Age
Time Frame: 1979
Geographic Area: North America
Country: United States
Topics: American Life, Time Travel
Genre: Historical Fantasy
Reading Age: Middle Grade, Upper Middle Grade
American History > Modern Age > 1970s
This Newbery Medal winner that has been called "smart and mesmerizing," (The New York Times) and "superb" (The Wall Street Journal) will appeal to readers of all types, especially those who are looking for a thought-provoking mystery with a mind-blowing twist.
Shortly after a fall-out with her best friend, sixth-grader Miranda starts receiving mysterious notes, and she doesn’t know what to do. The notes tell her that she must write a letter—a true story, and that she can’t share her mission with anyone.
It would be easy to ignore the strange messages, except that whoever is leaving them has an uncanny ability to predict the future. If that is the case, then Miranda has a big problem—because the notes tell her that someone is going to die, and she might be too late to stop it.
Winner of the Boston Globe–Horn Book Award for Fiction
A New York Times Bestseller and Notable Book
Five Starred Reviews
A Junior Library Guild Selection
This is such a quiet, introspective book. At its core, it is a story about friendship and learning how to become separate from each other while still being friends. Also, it's one of the most beautiful stories I've ever read.
Miranda is a 6th grader in 1970s NYC. She and her best friend Sal have suddenly grown apart, her mother is practicing to compete on $20,000 Pyramid, and she starts getting these strange notes from a mysterious person who seems to know about things before they happen.
The writing is lyrical and beautiful, and the story has a great sense of time and place. It felt like the late 1970s, there is some commentary about latchkey kids, kids being on their own and learning to be street smart, but also reliable adults who are there to guide and care for them.
The scifi element of the story is complex but also done in a way that I think is easy to understand, yet doesn't dumb it down for kids. It also parallels A Wrinkle in Time, another of my all-time favorite books.
I love this story so much and I think that it will someday be considered a children's classic.
Other Similar Books
Other suggestions on the subject of the American Life.
Other suggestions on the subject of the Time Travel.
Books. Lots of Books.