City of the Plague God
City of the Plague God (Rick Riordan Presents)
Best-selling author Rick Riordan presents City of the Plague God, an adventure based on ancient Mesopotamian mythology written by Sarwat Chadda, author of the Ash Mistry series.
"An epic worthy of Gilgamesh. Chadda brings attention to the less well-recognized mythology of ancient Mesopotamia with engaging humor and wit."--Kirkus Reviews
Thirteen-year-old Sik wants a simple life going to school and helping at his parents' deli in the evenings. But all that is blown to smithereens when Nergal comes looking for him, thinking that Sik holds the secret to eternal life. Turns out Sik is immortal but doesn't know it, and that's about to get him and the entire city into deep, deep trouble. Sik's not in this alone. He's got Belet, the adopted daughter of Ishtar, the goddess of love and war, on his side, and a former hero named Gilgamesh, who has taken up gardening in Central Park. Now all they have to do is retrieve the Flower of Immortality to save Manhattan from being wiped out by disease. To succeed, they'll have to conquer sly demons, treacherous gods, and their own darkest nightmares.
"Featuring gods and goddesses, and importantly, Muslim heroes, this #OwnVoices tale eerily echoes our pandemic presents; but readers will find escape in the entertaining balance of an apocalyptic setting with irreverent humor."--School Library Journal
Other Similar Books
Other suggestions on the subject of Mesopotamia.
- Gilgamesh the King (The Gilgamesh Trilogy) (by: Zeman, Ludmila, LE)
- You Wouldn’t Want to Be a Sumerian Slave (by: Morley, Jacqueline, LE, MG)
- The Last Quest of Gilgamesh (The Gilgamesh Trilogy) (by: Zeman, Ludmila, LE)
- The Revenge of Ishtar (The Gilgamesh Trilogy) (by: Zeman, Ludmila, LE)
- City of the Plague God (by: Chadda, Sarwat, MG, UMG)
- The Golden Bull (by: Cowley, Marjorie, MG)
- Gilgamesh the Hero (by: McCaughrean, Geraldine, UMG)
- Gilgamesh the King (by: Silverberg, Robert, YA, A)
- The Red Tent (by: Diamant, Anita, YA, A)